NCKU Computer and Network Center
NCKU Computer and Network Center
National Cheng Kung University Rules for Student Dormitory Internet Management
National Cheng Kung University Rules
for Student Dormitory Internet Management
Approved by the Computer and Network Committee on Dec. 26, 1995 Revised by the Computer and Network Committee on Sept. 26, 1996 Revised by the Computer and Network Committee on Nov. 30, 1999
Revised by the Computer and Network Committee on June 7, 2002
Revised by the Computer and Network Committee on May 17, 2006
I. The student dormitory Internet is a part of the campus Internet intended primarily to serve academic purposes. These rules are formulated according to Taiwan Academic Network Management and Regulations to pursue effective use and management of dormitory Internet.
II. Dormitory students are required to have their personal computer equipped with a network interface card (RJ-45 interface) and an unshielded twisted pair cable before they set up their IP address, as indicated on the Internet information box for each bedroom.
III. A dormitory student who is found to have committed any of the following acts shall be disciplined with a suspension of the right to use any of the University's Internet resources.
1. Using the dormitory Internet to transmit threatening, obscene, commercial or unfriendly materials.
2. Using the dormitory Internet to deliberately spread viruses or hack into a computer system.
3. Using or transmitting any unauthorized files.
4. Deliberately destroying or improperly using network equipment.
5. Constructing any illegal or pornographic websites.
6. Using another user’s IP address.
IV. In line with the resolution of Taiwan Academic Network Management Committee, the volume of Internet traffic should be segmented and controlled. To maintain smooth and normal Internet operations, those who are found to have interfered with dormitory Internet traffic with an excess of transmission (more than 1GB per day) shall be disciplined with a one-week suspension of IP Address.
V. Internet users shall adhere to the principle of honesty when using Internet services. Those with any severe violation of the rules or any infringement upon the rights of others shall be disciplined with a suspension the right to access the node in question for a period of one month to a semester.
VI. Student Dormitory Internet Malfunction Repair
1. Repair application for disconnection shutdown:
(1) All applications are processed online via the Dormitory Internet Administration System.
(2) The Website of the Dormitory Internet Administration System is accessible at
2. Repair services provided by the Computer and Network Center are scheduled and regulated as follows:
(1) A network breakdown involving such equipment as a hub, a router or an optical fiber will be repaired instantly.
(2) The repair services for individual network breakdowns are scheduled for the afternoon on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
(3) For any installation problems, please check with the Consultation Office (Ext: 61010) of the Computer and Network Center.
VII. The management and operation of NCKU student dormitory Internet are administered by
the Computer and Network Center.
VII. These rules shall be enacted upon approval by the Computer and Network Committee.
Any revisions shall be processed accordingly.
These rules were translated from the original Chinese. In the event of any discrepancies between the two versions, the Chinese always takes precedence.